Sunday, September 18, 2011

All Have Sinned and Fall Short of the Glory of God!

I was blessed today by the children in our church.  I got to lead Children's Church this morning and it was a true blessing.  I probably got more out of the lesson than they did.  If you read this blog often, you will know that usually I recap the sermon each week.  Bro. Edd was away leading revival this week and we had a guest pastor with us today.  However; my heart was still satisfied even though I wasn't sitting in a pew this morning.  My Children's Church lesson came from Matthew 20: 1 - 16.  Many of you may know this to be the parable of the workers.  Funny how, the lesson though written for children to understand, made me reflect on my own attitude and life.  I think sometimes, we adults, need to be like children.  Afterall, we are His children and sometimes He chooses the strangest of ways to speak to us.  And yes, sometimes it is through a lesson meant for a child!

One of the hardest lessons we learn is that sometimes life just doesn't seem fair.  Last week, the post talked about people who we felt die too early.  We hear it all the time, "Why do the good ones always go first?"  We walk around admiring people who live like there is no debt and wonder how they do it.  You've been there.  I know you have.  You've said it....."Life isn't fair."

But isn't it?

Let's look at the parable Jesus shared.  Read Matthew 20:1 - 16.  To paraphrase what happened.  So an owner of a vineyard needed help for just one day.  He goes out at 6 am and finds men to work.  He promises them money for their work.  They are to work all day.  He sets them to work.  He then goes back out around lunchtime and finds more men to work.  He promises them the same amount of money as the first group and they are to work the remainder of the day.  He sets them to work alongside the men who got there at 6 am.  He then goes back out close to quitting time and finds even more men to work.  He promises even them the same amount of money as the first two groups and they are to only work for the next hour.  He sets them to work alongside all the other men.  When it comes time to quit the job for the day, he pays them all the same.  Obviously the men who had been there the longest worked more,  but were paid exactly the same as the ones who had only worked for an hour.  And yes, obviously they felt they deserved more.  But isn't the money the landowner's and didn't he have the right to decide what to do with it? 

The parable tells us at the beginning that "The kindgom of heaven is like the person who owned the land."  And you know what?  God is the owner of that land.  He sent His son, Jesus to gather us as His workers in the field.  Some of us were called at 6 am (or early in life) while some of us are called close to quitting time.  Our pay is eternal life in heaven. 

This is the part that hit me when I was studying for this lesson.  You see, back in 1996, my uncle was murdered.  He was a good man in the wrong place at the wrong time.  He couldn't hear very well, and had been hired to paint the interior of a new huge home.  The owner of this new home was a well known doctor who collected rare guns and artifacts.  Someone broke into this new home while my uncle was there painting.  He didn't hear the burgular come in till it was too late.  What does this have to do with the lesson?  Well, it hit me.  This guy that murdered my uncle, he could be one of those called close to quitting time by God.  His pay is the same as mine.  We will both be paid with eternal life in heaven.  Did you see that coming?  How many of your enemies on earth will walk beside you in Heaven because they were called close to quitting time?  Doesn't seem fair does it?  I mean, here I am......someone that tries to live my life making choices God would be pleased with.  Since I can remember, I have been in church.  I have always tried to live right by God.  I was called at 6 am to work.  I know my pay is coming, but really, I get the same pay as the man who committed murder if he accepts God?  YES!  Doesn't seem fair but honestly, if we got what was fair, NO ONE WOULD GO TO HEAVEN!!!!!  Is it fair of us to claim we are workers for God, yet we just sit in a pew every Sunday?  Is it fair of us to claim we talk to God but really the only time we ever talk to Him is on Sunday or when we need something?  Really.....are we deserving of the pay we are promised?  Thankfully, God loves me even though I am the one being unfair.

Romans 3:23....."All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God!" 

Meaning?  In God's eyes, all of us are sinners.  All of us make mistakes and no mistake, though we tend to rate them on Earth, is bigger than the next in God's eyes.  I am so thankful that God is a forgiving God.  I have so much that I don't deserve and I know I owe it all to Him.  He blesses all of us with so much each day.  We often take those blessings for granted.  God gives us blessings because He loves us and cares for us......EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US!  We are ALL loved the same. 

I personally know people, ones I have begged to come to church, that say, "I have done so many bad things in my life."  Guess what?!!!  It doesn't matter!  We have ALL sinned!  Their sins are no different than mine.  Do not let your mistakes fall on an earthly rating scale.  Allow your mistakes to fall on a Heavenly rating scale!  Mistakes all weigh the same!  God still takes me in day after day, month after month, and minute after minute though my life is not perfect.  He loves me through every mistake I make and teaches me valuable lessons in life.  Don't wait till quitting time to accept God's calling.....you will miss the blessings of an earthly life with God by your side.  I consider that a BONUS on my paycheck!  Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment